Myconstitution.info

Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Jim Nunziato

Memorial Day
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
Welcome to our Memorial Day theme to honor those who paid the ultimate price to preserve our freedom.

I've recently noticed a lot of TV commercials and newspaper ads capitalizing on the holiday with terms like, "Memorial Day Blowout!" and "Memorial Day Sale!" and referring to your "Memorial Day Picnic or Cookout"...

What really strikes me is that in not one of those "Memorial Day" TV commercials or newspaper ads, did I hear one single mention of what the holiday is really about.

Capitalism is a great thing, but, C'mon, guys, how about a little respect for those who paid the ultimate price so you can continue to live in a free country.

It's downright shameful.

We here at myconstitution.info thank all members of our armed services, and all veterans for their service!

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."  Thomas Jefferson

If Hillary was the answer, then it must have been a really stupid question!

Offline Janet Nunziato

Re: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »
Not only for Memorial Day is this true, but for every major holiday or observance on the calendar.  It's the same for Washington's/Lincoln's birthdays, Easter, Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  Now, I've deliberately mentioned many of those holidays/observances which have historical (to OUR nation) or religious significance here in our beloved country.  I did not include the entire multitude of additional holidays/observances, though, which are important to others for their own reasons. It's all about the sales, rarely about what the makes the day significant.

Here is a list, although perhaps not all inclusive, of the many holidays recognized in our country.  You pick which ones you think are important!   ::)

http:www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/

You are absolutely right in that capitalism is the engine which drives our economy, and that's GOOD, but is it too much to ask that in all the rush to make (and spend) money, that everyone just STOP for a minute or three to give recognition to the purpose of the holiday?  :(