Myconstitution.info

Author Topic: So, now what?  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Jim Nunziato

So, now what?
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
Ok, now that Ted Cruz dropped out of the race, it is presumed that Donald Trump will be the republican nominee.

If you have conservative leaning tendencies (and I realize that not everyone does) will you support him in the general election in November?  He was not my first choice in the primary election, which is where we all should be, "making our statements."

After all the primaries are over, and the parties have nominated their candidates, then it's time to get serious. Those of us who share the same general mindset, no matter which side of the aisle on which you prefer to sit, must come together and get the candidate elected who you think will best promote your individual ideas.

I have heard quite a few folks proclaim that if their favorite candidate didn't get the nomination, they'd stay home because they just couldn't bring themselves to vote for the party nominee. I wish someone would explain that logic to me because I just don't understand it.

If you're a Hillary supporter, and for some reason, Bernie gets the nomination, how would staying home help promote your ideas? If you refuse to vote for Bernie, do you think that Trump would better promote your ideas? If you stay home, you fail to negate a Trump vote, so he has one more vote than Bernie. You in essence, voted for Trump!  Nice going!

The exact same logic holds true on the other side of the aisle as well. I've heard a lot of folks say they'd vote for Hillary before they'd vote for Trump. Do they really believe that Hillary would better support their ideas than Trump? The way I see it, if I'm not happy with Trump, I certainly wouldn't be happier with either Hillary or Bernie! So, if I stay home because I'm too stubborn to support the republican party candidate, then my vote will not cancel out one from the other side. If it came down to a close election, and I stayed home, then me and all my other stubborn friends could have made the difference. Remember folks, barack obama won his second term with a margin of a half million votes. This happened because 4 million republicans stayed home because they couldn't bring themselves to vote for Romney.

I'm really trying to understand this stubborn, "staying-home" logic, so I hope someone can help to enlighten me...
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."  Thomas Jefferson

If Hillary was the answer, then it must have been a really stupid question!

Louise

Re: So, now what?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
I agree with you completely. It is a long time till November. My hope is that some of these "never Trump" folks will get some sense, see that we don't want Bill as "first Lady", and vote for Trump and all the other Republicans.